Do you guys do your testing before releasing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoadB
    Goon
    • Mar 2016

Do you guys do your testing before releasing...

Hi devs.

My question is; do you guys test an new update, New LT, New event etc you name it.

I know that people are asking, when comes New event?
    Time for a Black market lt?
    When New empire upgrades?
    When New you name it.

But i feel like New updates arnt being tested properly
    But i rather like something New running normal and smooth while waiting a few weeks longer then this newest update especially for Android.

So again my question.
    Is it even being tested? Cant it been tested? Is it something else why this happens.

Me for a fact aint an technician
    but i dont understand why something that is aside from an new update worked fine is working shyte after an update.(like withdraw cash).

Can you devs clear this up for me and probally the rest of ue.

THANKS 😉
  • Cthulu
    Retired Game Guru
    • Dec 2014

Re: Do you guys door testen before releasing..

I'm not a dev or in the industry but I know they do test things.

Issues can come up after implementation.

They might mention the how's and whys but I can at least give you the short and quick assertion that they do their best at coding, porting, releasing and trouble-shooting. I also know from other IT situations, jokes and memes that despite anyone's best efforts - things can go wrong. Not sure if that helps but maybe?

And as always, good luck my droid friends
    Come join us
    on the official
    Underworld Empire Discord Server
    https://discord.gg/ThdmzmJ

Comment

• OneHoop
      Brawler
      • Oct 2014

Android almost always has compatibility issues as it comes in many different flavors from different carriers, manufacturers, and runs on many different hardware.

Microsoft was famous for their rush to market strategy of releasing software before it was fully tested, and Apple started doing it too at some point in the last decade. I almost always wait to upgrade--especially OS updates--until early adopters have a chance to complain. One would expect less issues with iOS because there's only one operating system and far fewer hardware platforms (with less differences between them), but it is far from immune.

It is practically impossible to test software on Android for every carrier and hardware (impossible within a budget), but the question should be whether it is being done for the most common? To use one handset from each of the three most common manufacturer's on different carriers would be a reasonable expectation of testing.

Even what is being tested, though, is not going to be tested as rigorously as hardcore gamers: the testers are not going to be spending 6+ hours/day playing on one platform like you are. This game does not have the budget of Grand Theft Auto!

Good luck,
      Matt

Comment

• Jasperr
        Brawler
        • May 2016

I know a bit of programming and I'm sure they do tests. I think they probably let non devs test it too because they can see mistakes devs don't see.
        867495 D9C546

Comment

• Quaranj
          Boss
          • May 2015

Originally posted by Jasperr View Post
          I know a bit of programming and I'm sure they do tests. I think they probably let non devs test it too because they can see mistakes devs don't see.

As someone who has worked support in a dev environment myself, it was always good to have as many eyes on the beta before release as possible.

It was vouluntary (often unpaid) but came with a lavish lunch (and dinner if there were problems tracked throughout the day.) We did major quarterly releases that had the bulk of the big new features with monthly bug fixes and minor feature updates to core functionality. (Often user sourced suggestions) It wasn't uncommon for many tech devices in our lab to be "recycled" or acquired second hand to cut costs. Personal staff gear was also welcome at these functions so those of us who were early adopters of technology often played key roles.

This often consisted of all levels of knowledge (developers,executives,sales,IT,reception - you name it.) experimenting with the interface on multiple platforms with break huddles in between where head developer would go through old version vs. new version with Windiff upon a projector with many coders input on who made what changes. It was often at this point where typos were discovered or variables that had been reused in more than one place causing bad data were seen.

Most often new sections could be edited, but if new routines simply didn't work, the old code was merged back over that section.

From the outside looking in, it appears that development could stand a budget boost to acquire more devices. The subtle differences between htc sense, samsung touchwiz, stock google android and say Cyanogenmod are likely culprits in the hurdles that they face here.

That said.. I haven't seen a single ad for UE anywhere in a while. Perhaps once this current clutter of bugs is addressed an ad campaign will rejuvenate some lost numbers and add to the operations budget for more devices.

Comment

• alexian
            • Jun 2013

I work in SW Quality Assurance and for me it looks like they do not have an internal testing team, as every big company has. It looks like they do a superficial test by the devs, project managers, secretary, etc, in regular times (looking for easy to find crashes mostly) and contract only for some major update a 3rd party testing company.
            48BE8B

Comment

Interesting, I am also in QA division at my work place.
              Originally posted by alexian View Post
              I work in SW Quality Assurance and for me it looks like they do not have an internal testing team, as every big company has. It looks like they do a superficial test by the devs, project managers, secretary, etc, in regular times (looking for easy to find crashes mostly) and contract only for some major update a 3rd party testing company.
              Testing looks agile I admit and one can only hope more employees are hired to aid the testing effort.

Comment

• Eris667
                Brawler
                • Jun 2015

Added my self as a beta tester from the play store - thanks for adding / pointing out this option!

Comment

• analytical
                  Street Boss
                  • Aug 2013

Help me out - what is "door testen?"
                  Just a bit analytical.

Comment

Title fixed.
                    Originally posted by analytical View Post

Comment

• Xcali1985
                      Head Boss
                      • Jun 2013

Re: Do you guys do your testing before releasing...

Originally posted by alexian View Post
                      While I can totally understand getting issues on Android due to the mass number of devices and OS variations, I don't understand how issues that are universal getting through so often.

Something like bank deposits I can see being overlooked in testing core functions, but lately I struggle to remember one update out Droid friends haven't received with an issue.

I know they stated they use an outside company to port the code, i would say fire the company and use another, but if I remember correctly, android was a target platform for a while and maybe there is a very small market of capable companies to make the port.

Either way, they need to expand their beta testing and focus groups outside of internal operations.

I don't know if they are running computer simulations or using employees, whatever it is there are some bugs that are getting through and players are leaving because of it.

If they can't get it stable, I think they should work on linking it to people's Facebook profile or something so they can play on iOS devices while it's being fixed.

Comment

• Jasperr
                        Brawler
                        • May 2016

I'm gonna guess Dutch autocorrect.
                        867495 D9C546

Comment

• RoadB
                          Goon
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Jasperr View Post
                          I'm gonna guess Dutch autocorrect.
                          Correct. It had to be 'do testing'

Greetings from an dutch autocorrect 😉

Comment

• analytical
                            Street Boss
                            • Aug 2013

Sorry, I should have been able to decrypt the original subject. I thought maybe it was a kind of testing protocol.

It seems to me that the updates go out just a bit early. Whatever criteria they use to decide when to "let the train leave the station" it seems that they must know that android is about to be hamstrung. Letting it roll like that puts a heavy load on customer support, and probably impacts some customer decisions about what to do with their gaming dollar.
                            Last edited by analytical; 09-23-2016, 11:36 AM. Reason: typo - kind, not king
                            Just a bit analytical.

Comment

• Quaranj
                              Boss
                              • May 2015

It seems to me that the updates go out just a bit early. Whatever criteria they use to decide when to "let the train leave the station" it seems that they must know that android is about to be hamstrung. Letting it roll like that puts a heavy load on customer support, and probably impacts some customer decisions about what to do with their gaming dollar.
                              I spent $10 on my main for the start of the event to test the waters. Random crashes and insane amounts of circle spin lag while hitting during that time directly resulted in me not buying bigger packs. As an Android player, we're at such a disadvantage it's not even funny. I haven't met a single person on Android yet that can claim a "success" on an execution no matter how high their Anson is.

Others in my empire on Android planned on ViP packs and decided to hold their wallets instead.

I love the artwork on some of the new LTs though. Kudos to the artist. Hopefully some day they will introduce themselves on here and take a bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X